Chauncey Hiestand grew up in Crescent Hill, graduated from the University of Kentucky with a B.A. in Psychology and earned his J.D. from California Western School of Law. He is head of the trial and litigation departments at W&H and is recognized and/or has received: AV Preeminent Rated and honored with the Client Distinction Award and Client Champion Award (Platinum) by Martindale-Hubbell, rated by Super Lawyers, 10/10 Superb rated (Top Personal Injury Lawyer) by AVVO and a member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Advocates Forums (Life Member).
According to the Kentucky Trial Court Review, in 2019 Chauncey obtained the highest premises liability verdict in Jefferson County, which also ranks as the 6th highest PL verdict of ALL TIME in KENTUCKY. Chauncey was also honored to receive Leo Weekly Magazine, Readers’ Choice Award for Best Lawyer.
With a love for travel, Chauncey and his wife took their honeymoon around the world visiting California, Fiji, Australia, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Dubai to Washington. They have also explored Alaska, Dominican Republic, China, Hawaii, Italy, Bocas Del Toro and Costa Rica.
In the last four years, the Hiestands have been blessed with two beautiful daughters.
- California Western School of Law, San Diego California, 2004 J.D.
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 2000 B.A. in Psychology
Other Notable Legal Recognitions & Honors
- Attorneys You Should Know, Attorney At Law Magazine (2015)
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers (2016)
- Elite Lawyers of America, Multi-Million Dollar Verdict or Settlement Achievement Award
- Civil Litigation Lawyers of Distinction, Member
- Premier 100 (Civil), American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- 10 Best Client Satisfaction Award, American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- America's Top 100 Attorneys, Lifetime Achievement
- Distinguished Justice Advocates, Top 1%
- ThreeBestRated.com, Top 3 Personal Injury Lawyers in Louisville
- Expertise.com, Best Personal Injury Attorneys in Louisville (Top 25)
Recent Verdicts / Settlements
- Followell v. House of Boom Kentucky, LLC, $824,999.00 (prayer for $825,000.00) verdict. Premises liability claim. $10,000.00 pre-closing offer. Compression fracture healed poorly. Proof of permanent pain for 28 year old. Highest Premises Liability verdict in in Jefferson County (2019). Sixth Highest PL verdict ALL TIME in Kentucky. See KTCR 2019
- Harding Estate v. Greiner Trucking, LLC, commercial wrongful death claim - $2,000,000.00 liability limits plus over $32,000.00 in additional benefits obtained ($300,000.00 pre-suit offer).
- Hatler v. Harper Recycling, commercial liability and UIM claim, a military veteran suffered TBI when a semi struck her – $1,200,000.00 liability and UIM limits (zero pre-suit offer).
- Sykes v. Baxters, dram shop claim, significant orthopedic and TBI injury - $1,000,000.00 liability limits (zero pre-suit offer).
- Waits v. Johnson, government employee liability claim, an off-duty officer was speeding and t-boned Ms. Waits, orthopedic injuries – $780,000.00 (zero pre-suit offer).
- Ellison vs. Fleming County Little League et al. , $230,298.00 verdict for assault case involving President of Local Little League and elderly patron. Second Highest verdict ALL TIME in Fleming County. See KTCR 2019.
- Lechleiter v. SEA’s, commercial liability claim, company box truck struck client, resulting in a broken hip; disputed liability – $605,000.00 (zero pre-suit offer).
- Graham v. Keymon Charters, commercial liability claim, during a snow storm, client was struck by a bus suffered TBI; defendant claimed sudden emergency – $625,000.00 (zero pre-suit offer).
- Confidential Wrongful Death/Med Mal, In 2019, our team resolved a +$1,500,000.00 wrongful death/med mal claim for a family who suffered the loss of their daughter (zero pre-suit offer).
- Joyner v. Direct General Insurance, PIP verdict; One of the first Kentucky BRB suits / verdicts for a Plaintiff regarding unreasonable denial / delay of PIP payments
Community Service Recognitions/Honors
- Key to the City Mayor Greg Fischer,
- Community Leadership Award, Greg Fischer,
- Community Service Award, Kentucky House of Representatives,
- Colonel, Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels,
- Attorneys You Should Know, Attorney At Law Magazine 2015
- PIP Benefits and the Denial of PIP Benefits, Kentucky Justice Association (KJA) 2011